It’s fairly easy to get pulled over while you’re driving. Below is a list of reasons, compiled from my years practicing criminal defense, discussions with police officers and agencies, and sources such as The National Motorists Association.
- Driving significantly faster (or slower) than the traffic around you.
- Out-of-date license tags and inspection stickers.
- Speeding at night, especially after midnight.
- Speeding in a radar-enforced area.
- Weaving from your lane into another.
- Failing to use your turn signal.
- Faulty equipment, such as brake lights, tail lights, license plate lights.
- In some states, both the front and back license plates must be affixed (this holds true in Colorado)
- Dark window tints, jacked-up suspension system.
- Illegal cell phone use (more than 30 states have banned texting while driving).
While the Fourth Amendment usually protects against unlawful searches, certain exceptions have been made out of concern for public safety, such as:
Amber Alert: Law enforcement has the right to pull you over and search your car for a missing child during an Amber Alert, which law enforcement issues when they determine that a child has been abducted, and the abduction meets Amber Alert criteria.
Mistaken Identity: If a car just involved in a hit-and-run meets your car description, the police can stop you to examine your vehicle for damage consistent with involvement in a hit-and-run.
Keep in mind that even if you’re pulled over for a minor traffic issue, the stop can result in a driving under the influence (DUI) arrest if your actions make the officer suspect that you’re driving:
- While intoxicated
- Under the influence of or possession of controlled substances.
Blawg 100 Amici: ABA Journal’s nominations for best legal blogs
If you enjoy my posts, please consider nominating my blog (www.shaunkaufmanlaw.com), as well as any of the legal blogs listed on the right side of this page under Blogroll, to the ABA Journal’s nominations for 100 best legal blogs – Submissions are open through August 8: Click here to submit
Shaun Kaufman Law: 303-309-0430
Latest posts by Kaufman (see all)
- Holiday Office Parties and DUIs: Enjoy the First, Avoid the Second - November 19, 2014
- DUI Apps: From Oh Crap to Mr. Checkpoint - October 28, 2014
- Google Glass: Privacy Issues and Backlashes to Glassholes - October 5, 2014
How Can We Help You?Call Shaun Kaufman Law at 303-309-0430. We are happy to offer a free, initial phone consultation regarding your case. Or fill out the below contact form, and Shaun Kaufman will get back to you as soon as possible.
Subscribe via Email to Shaun Kaufman Law Posts
Recent Popular Posts by Shaun Kaufman
- Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer: What to Wear to Court As my friends and family know, I'm a decades-long fan…
- Colorado Temporary vs. Permanent Protection Orders There are two forms of protection orders (commonly called restraining…
- Should You Lie or Not Talk to the Police? Can I get into trouble if I lie to the…
- Don’t Be a Cop Magnet: Top 10 Reasons Police Pull Over… It's fairly easy to get pulled over while you're driving.…
- Sentencing: Tips for Preparing a Mitigation Package Sentencing is important in many criminal defense cases. Understand that…
- What Happens When the Police Shoot a Citizen In today's blog, I'm discussing the procedures used by police…
- After the DUI Arrest, What Happens Next? After you are taken into custody for DUI, you will…
Shaun Kaufman Law serves clients across…
Denver Metro area and throughout Colorado, the Denver Tech Center, Golden, Brighton, Littleton, Boulder, Lakewood, Longmont, Englewood, Arvada, Fort Collins, Greeley, Aurora, Evergreen, Lakewood, Broomfield, Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Glendale, Louisville, Lone Tree, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Cherry Creek, Pueblo, Black Hawk, Georgetown, Eagle, Carbonale,,El Jebel, Leadville, Glenwood Springs, Granby, Grand Lake, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Silverton,Telluride, Ouray, Delta, Gunnison, Lake City, Walden, Loveland. Rifle, Meeker, Rangely, Central City, Salida, Westcliffe, Canon City, Fairplay, Sheridan, Creede, Del Norte, Centennial, Littleton, Castle Rock, Parker, Kiowa. Broomfield, and all communities of The Foothills, The Eastern Plains and the Front Range, Trinidad, Walsenburg and Aguilar.