Five Gmail Tips for Lawyers
I’ve been a Gmail user for years, but I use it for much more than just sending and receiving emails. It’s also handy in my day-to-day law practice for such things as creating task lists and setting reminders via Gmail’s Calendar program.
Below are 5 handy Gmail tips for lawyers and anybody interested in its productivity features.
Create a Task List
I get a slew of emails in my Gmail program every day — when a message is a task I need to remember, I add it to a task list within the Gmail program. Here’s how:
- In the top left of your Gmail screen is a box labelled Gmail. Click the down arrow. A drop-down menu displays. Select Tasks.
- Click in the Tasks window that displays at the bottom right of your Gmail screen, and enter a task.
- In the bottom left of the Tasks window is an Actions arrow — click this to see other actions you can do in with your Task entries, from creating sub-tasks to emailing your Task list.
Add an Email to Your Task List
When an email message is a task I need to remember, I add it to a task list within the Gmail program by doing the following:
- Click in the far left box of the email (a checkmark will appear in the box).
- In the More box at the top of the Gmail email list, click the down arrow. Select Add to Tasks.
The subject line of the email now displays in the task list. Below entry is a Related email link — click on this to review the email.
Set Tasks from Google Calendar
I rely on my Google Calendar program as much as I rely on Gmail. It’s a useful way to get a quick view of my schedule, set reminders to be sent to me via email for events on certain date, and much more. One feature I like is the ability to add tasks from Calendar to my Tasks list.
- In Calendar month view, click on a date-space (a small window displays).
- Select Task in the top left corner of the small window.
- Type the task into the task field (where the blinking cursor displays). Click the Create Task button in the bottom left of the small window.
Get Rid of Unwanted Gmail Threads
Gmail has a handy feature called Mute for eliminating unwanted, irrelevant threads of emails – like that never-ended holiday joke that everybody and their second cousin keeps adding to.
- Click the box to the left of the email.
- In the More box at the top of the Gmail page, click the down-arrow and select Mute.
Schedule Emails to Send Later
Sometimes I like to schedule when to send emails — for that, I use a reasonably priced app called Boomerang.
Denver Criminal Defense Attorney Shaun Kaufman
Shaun is a Denver, Colorado defense lawyer who has spent three decades sharpening his instincts and winning cases in courthouses. He has tried cases ranging from jaywalking to first-degree murder, and also specializes in personal injury and business litigation.
To contact Shaun, call 303-309-0430 anytime of the day, 7 days a week, or fill out the contact form on the right side of this page.
How Can We Help You?Call Shaun Kaufman Law at 303-309-0430. We are happy to offer a free, initial phone consultation regarding your case.
Subscribe via Email to Shaun Kaufman Law Posts
Popular Posts This Month at Shaun Kaufman
- Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer: What to Wear to Court March 17, 2015: Update on "Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer" Since…
- Sentencing: Tips for Preparing a Mitigation Package Sentencing is important in many criminal defense cases. Understand that…
- Tips from a Lawyer: Late or Missed a Court Date?… Late for Your Court Date? Or have you missed your…
- Can I Sue the State? A School District? A City? Our firm is asked often such question as "Can I…
- After the DUI Arrest, What Happens Next? After you are taken into custody for DUI, you will…
- Twitter Hashtags for Lawyers 101 Twitter As Search Engine When I first became a Twitter…
- Should You Lie or Not Talk to the Police? Can I get into trouble if I lie to the…
- What Is Expectation of Privacy? Last April, I was a guest faculty member at the…
- Don’t Be a Cop Magnet: Top 10 Reasons Police Pull Over It's fairly easy to get pulled over while you're driving.…
- Better Call Saul: Legal No-Nos in Dumpster Diving Scene We're still catching up on our "Better Call Saul" TV…
Shaun Kaufman Law serves clients across…
Denver Metro area and throughout Colorado, the Denver Tech Center, Golden, Brighton, Littleton, Boulder, Lakewood, Longmont, Englewood, Arvada, Fort Collins, Greeley, Aurora, Evergreen, Lakewood, Broomfield, Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Glendale, Louisville, Lone Tree, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Cherry Creek, Pueblo, Black Hawk, Georgetown, Eagle, Carbonale,,El Jebel, Leadville, Glenwood Springs, Granby, Grand Lake, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Silverton,Telluride, Ouray, Delta, Gunnison, Lake City, Walden, Loveland. Rifle, Meeker, Rangely, Central City, Salida, Westcliffe, Canon City, Fairplay, Sheridan, Creede, Del Norte, Centennial, Littleton, Castle Rock, Parker, Kiowa. Broomfield, and all communities of The Foothills, The Eastern Plains and the Front Range, Trinidad, Walsenburg and Aguilar.