Wheelchair Users: The Dangers of Falling/Tilting
This is a post I wrote today for Guns, Gams and Gumshoes, a website I and my better-half started in 2009 for private investigators, researchers and writers developing sleuth/P.I. characters and stories. Over the years, both of us have written articles about everything from protecting one’s information on the Internet to our favorite private eye characters in movies and books.
But this article is different. I felt strongly I needed to address an uneducated comment made about one of our siblings who must use a wheelchair full time.
Let’s Better Understand What It’s Like for People in Wheelchairs
by Colorado Defense Attorney Shaun Kaufman
One of the Guns, Gams and Gumshoes’s sisters is a full-time wheelchair user. Recently, when her wheelchair began working improperly, and she feared she might fall from her chair, she called 911 for help. Firefighters arrived, cut the power to her chair, and lifted her into a backup wheelchair. Someone we know thought this was a mis-use of 911 services, and said the wheelchair user should only have called if it had been a “life or death” emergency.
I found this statement to be ignorant and condescending as the guideline for making a 911 call is if someone is in imminent danger of injury as well as danger of death — for a wheelchair user afraid that he/she might be falling out of their chair, it is indeed a situation of imminent danger that can cause injury, and in fact death, as the majority of wheelchair fatalities are the result of the person falling or tilting from the chair. Look, the bottom line for emergency medical intervention is to ameliorate the potential severity of injury.
Falling/Tipping from a Wheelchair: The Most Common Cause of Death
The U.S. National Library of Medicine conducted research of the death certificate database of the National Information Clearinghouse of the Consumer Product Safety Commission over a 15-year period, and identified 770 wheelchair-related deaths. The majority of those deaths, 596 persons or 77.4 %, died as a result from falling from their chairs or tipping over while in them.
Understanding the World of Those Who Use Wheelchairs
Most of us are uncomfortable to some extent with things we don’t know or understand. One of those things might be people who use wheelchairs, and may result in our saying something thoughtless without meaning to. Below are a few articles to aid understanding of those in wheelchairs:
10 Things To Never Say To A Person In A Wheelchair (via HuffPost)
Non Wheelchair User Etiquette (via Apparelyzed)
How to Interact with a Person Who Uses a Wheelchair (via WikiHow)
Save the Wheelchair (a fundraising campaign for the Roll on Capitol Hill)
Thank you, Shaun
Blawg 100 Amici: ABA Journal’s nominations for best legal blogs
If you enjoy my posts, please consider nominating my blog (www.shaunkaufmanlaw.com), or one of the legal blogs on the right side of the screen, to the ABA Journal’s nominations for 100 best legal blogs – Submissions are open through August 8: Click here to submit
Shaun Kaufman Law: 303-309-0430
Latest posts by K (see all)
- Medical Data as Crime Evidence - February 7, 2017
- A Top 10 Favorite Legal Film: Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - January 12, 2017
- Holiday Office Parties and DUIs: Enjoy the First, Avoid the Second - December 9, 2016
How Can We Help You?Call Shaun Kaufman Law at 303-309-0430. We are happy to offer a free, initial phone consultation regarding your case.
Subscribe via Email to Shaun Kaufman Law Posts
Popular Posts This Month at Shaun Kaufman
- Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer: What to Wear to Court March 17, 2015: Update on "Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer" Since…
- Sentencing: Tips for Preparing a Mitigation Package Sentencing is important in many criminal defense cases. Understand that…
- Tips from a Lawyer: Late or Missed a Court Date?… Late for Your Court Date? Or have you missed your…
- After the DUI Arrest, What Happens Next? After you are taken into custody for DUI, you will…
- Can I Sue the State? A School District? A City? Our firm is asked often such question as "Can I…
- Don’t Be a Cop Magnet: Top 10 Reasons Police Pull Over It's fairly easy to get pulled over while you're driving.…
- Shaun Kaufman Bio Shaun Kaufman: Tough Litigator, Compassionate Lawyer Call 24/7: 303-309-0430 Shaun Kaufman…
- Better Call Saul: Legal No-Nos in Dumpster Diving Scene We're still catching up on our "Better Call Saul" TV…
- Should You Lie or Not Talk to the Police? Can I get into trouble if I lie to the…
- What To Do When Confronted with a DUI Checkpoint In 1990 some Michigan motorists challenged the constitutionality of a highway…
Shaun Kaufman Law serves clients across…
Denver Metro area and throughout Colorado, the Denver Tech Center, Golden, Brighton, Littleton, Boulder, Lakewood, Longmont, Englewood, Arvada, Fort Collins, Greeley, Aurora, Evergreen, Lakewood, Broomfield, Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Glendale, Louisville, Lone Tree, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Cherry Creek, Pueblo, Black Hawk, Georgetown, Eagle, Carbonale,,El Jebel, Leadville, Glenwood Springs, Granby, Grand Lake, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Silverton,Telluride, Ouray, Delta, Gunnison, Lake City, Walden, Loveland. Rifle, Meeker, Rangely, Central City, Salida, Westcliffe, Canon City, Fairplay, Sheridan, Creede, Del Norte, Centennial, Littleton, Castle Rock, Parker, Kiowa. Broomfield, and all communities of The Foothills, The Eastern Plains and the Front Range, Trinidad, Walsenburg and Aguilar.