St. Patrick’s Day: How to Avoid a DUI
DUIs Can Be Expensive
The expenses can pile up if you get arrested for a DUI, especially if you cause an accident. I’m not talking about attorney’s fees, I’m talking about everything from the ticket to the detox stay to the spike in car insurance.
Average Cost of a DUI in Colorado
Several years ago there was an article in Westword about the average cost of a DUI in Colorado, from the jail fee to the victim assistance fund to the detox center. Below is the infographic they created to show the breakdown of those costs — at the bottom is the total cost which is over $10,000 dollars (and these estimates are already outdated!):
Tips to Avoid a DUI
Here’s a few suggestions for having a safe, good time on St. Patrick’s Day:
- Go to Nearby Places. If possible, pick party spots that are within walking distance or a short drive away.
- Designate a Driver. You’ve probably heard this advice dozens of times, but it’s a simple, smart way to not only avoid going to jail but even saving others’ lives.
- Call a Cab or Driving Service. Store these numbers in your phone ahead of time — better yet, put them on speed-dial. Paying for a safe ride home is a lot cheaper than being arrested for a DUI.
Tips to Stop Others from Driving Drunk
Here’s a few more suggestions for helping friends and others not drive drunk:
- Approach the conversation in a non-confrontational way. Keep in mind that an intoxicated person’s perceptions are impaired, so speak slowly, keep it light, and explain more carefully.
- Ask a friend or two to help. It’s more difficult for a drunk person to say no to several people. Make sure everyone is in sync with being supportive and not aggressive.
- Gently take the person’s car keys. A key here is to distract the person so you can more easily take away the keys. Again, keep it light, avoid a confrontation, take extra care to not humiliate the person.
- Emphasize that you care for the person’s safety. You can do this in a number of ways: invite the person to sleep over if you’re at your place, drive the person home if you are sober, or pay the person’s cab fare.
Shaun Kaufman has three decades experience defending DUI cases. You will always work with Shaun Kaufman, who has studied blood and breath-alcohol testing, as well as the rules and regulations of the admissibility of those tests. He is a passionate and tireless advocate for his clients.
To contact Shaun Kaufman, fill out the contact form on the right side of this page, or call 303-309-0430 any day of the week, 24 hours a day.
Shaun Kaufman Law: 303-309-0430
Latest posts by K (see all)
- Medical Data as Crime Evidence - February 7, 2017
- A Top 10 Favorite Legal Film: Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - January 12, 2017
- Holiday Office Parties and DUIs: Enjoy the First, Avoid the Second - December 9, 2016
How Can We Help You?Call Shaun Kaufman Law at 303-309-0430. We are happy to offer a free, initial phone consultation regarding your case.
Subscribe via Email to Shaun Kaufman Law Posts
Popular Posts This Month at Shaun Kaufman
- Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer: What to Wear to Court March 17, 2015: Update on "Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer" Since…
- Sentencing: Tips for Preparing a Mitigation Package Sentencing is important in many criminal defense cases. Understand that…
- After the DUI Arrest, What Happens Next? After you are taken into custody for DUI, you will…
- Don’t Be a Cop Magnet: Top 10 Reasons Police Pull Over It's fairly easy to get pulled over while you're driving.…
- Should You Lie or Not Talk to the Police? Can I get into trouble if I lie to the…
- Twitter Hashtags for Lawyers 101 Twitter As Search Engine When I first became a Twitter…
- Can I Sue the State? A School District? A City? Our firm is asked often such question as "Can I…
- Getting and Keeping a Colorado Bail Bonding License: Part… It is not easy to become a bail bondsman in…
- Shaun Kaufman Bio Shaun Kaufman: Tough Litigator, Compassionate Lawyer Call 24/7: 303-309-0430 Shaun Kaufman…
- Tips from a Lawyer: Late or Missed a Court Date?… Late for Your Court Date? Or have you missed your…
Shaun Kaufman Law serves clients across…
Denver Metro area and throughout Colorado, the Denver Tech Center, Golden, Brighton, Littleton, Boulder, Lakewood, Longmont, Englewood, Arvada, Fort Collins, Greeley, Aurora, Evergreen, Lakewood, Broomfield, Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Glendale, Louisville, Lone Tree, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Cherry Creek, Pueblo, Black Hawk, Georgetown, Eagle, Carbonale,,El Jebel, Leadville, Glenwood Springs, Granby, Grand Lake, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Silverton,Telluride, Ouray, Delta, Gunnison, Lake City, Walden, Loveland. Rifle, Meeker, Rangely, Central City, Salida, Westcliffe, Canon City, Fairplay, Sheridan, Creede, Del Norte, Centennial, Littleton, Castle Rock, Parker, Kiowa. Broomfield, and all communities of The Foothills, The Eastern Plains and the Front Range, Trinidad, Walsenburg and Aguilar.