What Is Social Media Saying About Your Case?
Google: The Most Comprehensive Search Engine
In January 2015, web-analysis company ComScore, Inc. announced that Google Sites led desktop searches with 64.4 percent for internet search queries. To quote Ian Lurie, CEO of the internet marketing company Portent, “Google is very scary at this point as a controller of Web content.”
Yet Google searches are missing something important…
What About Real-Time Data?
In 2014 Google struck a deal with Twitter that put real-time tweets into Google’s search results. Below are two lawyers’ views about their law practices and Twitter:
I believe that Twitter is the most useful social media platform for attorneys. On a daily basis I utilize lists and hashtags to find new cases, timely articles, and interesting commentary on topics that are of interest to me. ~Ignatius Grande @igrande
Whether it is discussing late-breaking news, sharing a blog post about a hot legal issue or even group watching a tv show, Twitter is the best social media option for fast, responsive communication. ~ Jennifer Ellis @JLE_JD
Great, but outside of Twitter, what else does Google report instantly? Well, just about anything through social media search engines.
What’s a Social Media Search Engine?
Basically, it’s a program that searches for and identifies items in a database of user-generated content such as blogs, comments, bookmarks, events and so on.
That’s as technical as I’ll ever get, so let’s move on…
Lawyers + Social Media: A Win-Win
According to Social Times, 78 percent of lawyers rely on one or more social networks for professional purposes, the more prominent being attorneys in litigation, commercial law and employment/labor.
Lawyers can use real-time social media searches to:
- Scan their presence on the Internet
- Learn about recent developments in their area of the law
- Mine information about witnesses, clients, prospective jurors and opponents for upcoming litigation
- Find electronic evidence.
Let’s check out four of the best social media research tools.
Four Social Media Search Sites
My better half is an internet search ninja who forwarded me the following sites that offer real-time social media data and analytics:
SmashFuse: Immediate real-time results in social media sites, such as Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo and others. Easy-to-view layout with share buttons.
SocialMention: Real-time search in over a hundred media properties, from blogs to comments to images. It also provides social media analysis broken down by Strength, Sentiment, Passion, Reach, Top Users, Top Hashtags and Sources.
Social Searcher: Searches content in social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and Google+ in real time. You can also sign up for “monitoring” that includes history, advanced analytics, increased email alerts and more.
Topsy: Real-time results and analytics for Twitter only. Search by links, tweets, photos and more. This search engine has been around since 2008 and is still going strong, unlike a few that fell by the wayside over the years.
Have a great weekend, Shaun
Shaun Kaufman Law: 303-309-0430
Latest posts by K (see all)
- Medical Data as Crime Evidence - February 7, 2017
- A Top 10 Favorite Legal Film: Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - January 12, 2017
- Holiday Office Parties and DUIs: Enjoy the First, Avoid the Second - December 9, 2016
How Can We Help You?Call Shaun Kaufman Law at 303-309-0430. We are happy to offer a free, initial phone consultation regarding your case.
Subscribe via Email to Shaun Kaufman Law Posts
Popular Posts This Month at Shaun Kaufman
- Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer: What to Wear to Court March 17, 2015: Update on "Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer" Since…
- Sentencing: Tips for Preparing a Mitigation Package Sentencing is important in many criminal defense cases. Understand that…
- Tips from a Lawyer: Late or Missed a Court Date?… Late for Your Court Date? Or have you missed your…
- Can I Sue the State? A School District? A City? Our firm is asked often such question as "Can I…
- After the DUI Arrest, What Happens Next? After you are taken into custody for DUI, you will…
- Shaun Kaufman Bio Shaun Kaufman: Tough Litigator, Compassionate Lawyer Shaun Kaufman is a North…
- Don’t Be a Cop Magnet: Top 10 Reasons Police Pull Over It's fairly easy to get pulled over while you're driving.…
- Should You Lie or Not Talk to the Police? Can I get into trouble if I lie to the…
- Twitter Hashtags for Lawyers 101 Twitter As Search Engine When I first became a Twitter…
- Better Call Saul: Legal No-Nos in Dumpster Diving Scene We're still catching up on our "Better Call Saul" TV…
Shaun Kaufman Law serves clients across…
Denver Metro area and throughout Colorado, the Denver Tech Center, Golden, Brighton, Littleton, Boulder, Lakewood, Longmont, Englewood, Arvada, Fort Collins, Greeley, Aurora, Evergreen, Lakewood, Broomfield, Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Glendale, Louisville, Lone Tree, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Cherry Creek, Pueblo, Black Hawk, Georgetown, Eagle, Carbonale,,El Jebel, Leadville, Glenwood Springs, Granby, Grand Lake, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Silverton,Telluride, Ouray, Delta, Gunnison, Lake City, Walden, Loveland. Rifle, Meeker, Rangely, Central City, Salida, Westcliffe, Canon City, Fairplay, Sheridan, Creede, Del Norte, Centennial, Littleton, Castle Rock, Parker, Kiowa. Broomfield, and all communities of The Foothills, The Eastern Plains and the Front Range, Trinidad, Walsenburg and Aguilar.