Halloween Parties, Social Host Liability and Teenagers
Halloween is coming up, a time for costumes and fun. Many of us will either be chaperoning children as they trick or trick door to door, or handing out candy to trick or treaters.
It’s also a time of parties, which is where the legal term social host liability comes into play. Social host liability refers to a person’s criminal and civil responsibility for furnishing liquor to guests.
Social Host Laws
States approach social hosting liabilities in the following areas:
- No liabilities on social hosts
- Limited liability to injuries that occur on the host’s premises
- Liability to injuries that occur anywhere a guest who has consumed alcohol goes afterward.
In addition, many states have increasingly stringent laws about adults furnishing alcohol to minors.
Be a Parent, Not a Pal
Parents sometimes provide alcohol to teenagers, often under the mistaken belief that their adult supervision can prevent the drinking from getting out of hand or having disastrous repercussions.
Adults have a duty to refrain from negligently or intentionally supplying alcohol to minors. A host can be found negligent if he/she knew — or should have known — that a minor was to drive a car while under the influence. Simply put, don’t provide alcohol for a teenage party at your home or a property you control.
Study: Most Teenagers Drink in Their Homes
According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), most teenagers drink alcohol in their private homes.
Additionally, a 2005 study of teenagers between 13 and 18, researched by the the American Medical Association (AMA), revealed:
- 2 of 3 teenagers claimed it was easy to obtain alcohol
- 1 of 3 claimed their parents consented to providing the alcohol
- 2 of 5 claimed friends’ parents provided the alcohol
- 1 of 4 claimed they had witnessed teenage friends drinking openly in their homes in front of parents.
State Laws Against Those Who Host Underage Drinking Parties
The Alcohol Policy Information System (APIS) provides the below map which reflects which states have social hosting laws against individuals who host underage drinking parties on property they own, lease or otherwise control:
Stay safe and enjoy your Halloween!
Shaun Kaufman Law: 303-309-0430
Latest posts by K (see all)
- Medical Data as Crime Evidence - February 7, 2017
- A Top 10 Favorite Legal Film: Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - January 12, 2017
- Holiday Office Parties and DUIs: Enjoy the First, Avoid the Second - December 9, 2016
All rights reserved by Shaun Kaufman. Any use of the content (including images owned or licensed by Colleen Collins and/or Shaun Kaufman) requires specific, written authority. Any photos noted as being in the public domain are copyright-free and yours to steal.
How Can We Help You?Call Shaun Kaufman Law at 303-309-0430. We are happy to offer a free, initial phone consultation regarding your case.
Subscribe via Email to Shaun Kaufman Law Posts
Popular Posts This Month at Shaun Kaufman
- Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer: What to Wear to Court March 17, 2015: Update on "Sartorial Tips from a Lawyer" Since…
- Sentencing: Tips for Preparing a Mitigation Package Sentencing is important in many criminal defense cases. Understand that…
- Tips from a Lawyer: Late or Missed a Court Date?… Late for Your Court Date? Or have you missed your…
- After the DUI Arrest, What Happens Next? After you are taken into custody for DUI, you will…
- Twitter Hashtags for Lawyers 101 Twitter As Search Engine When I first became a Twitter…
- Can I Sue the State? A School District? A City? Our firm is asked often such question as "Can I…
- Don’t Be a Cop Magnet: Top 10 Reasons Police Pull Over It's fairly easy to get pulled over while you're driving.…
- Getting and Keeping a Colorado Bail Bonding License: Part… It is not easy to become a bail bondsman in…
- Shaun Kaufman Bio Shaun Kaufman: Tough Litigator, Compassionate Lawyer Call 24/7: 303-309-0430 Shaun Kaufman…
- Should You Lie or Not Talk to the Police? Can I get into trouble if I lie to the…
Shaun Kaufman Law serves clients across…
Denver Metro area and throughout Colorado, the Denver Tech Center, Golden, Brighton, Littleton, Boulder, Lakewood, Longmont, Englewood, Arvada, Fort Collins, Greeley, Aurora, Evergreen, Lakewood, Broomfield, Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Glendale, Louisville, Lone Tree, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Cherry Creek, Pueblo, Black Hawk, Georgetown, Eagle, Carbonale,,El Jebel, Leadville, Glenwood Springs, Granby, Grand Lake, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Silverton,Telluride, Ouray, Delta, Gunnison, Lake City, Walden, Loveland. Rifle, Meeker, Rangely, Central City, Salida, Westcliffe, Canon City, Fairplay, Sheridan, Creede, Del Norte, Centennial, Littleton, Castle Rock, Parker, Kiowa. Broomfield, and all communities of The Foothills, The Eastern Plains and the Front Range, Trinidad, Walsenburg and Aguilar.