Shaun Kaufman: Colorado Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer
If you are charged with a domestic violence crime in Colorado, you should hire Shaun Kaufman Law as your defense lawyer. Shaun Kaufman Law looks at each case for reasons why your case should not go to trial. Unlike other law firms that pass such cases on to a junior associate, Shaun Kaufman will personally examine your case, and will look for ways to get you acquitted.
Most lawyers are afraid of trials and they look for a plea deal. Shaun Kaufman looks forward to trials and is proud of his acquittal rate in domestic violence cases. He will stand with you and fight for you to get that not guilty verdict. Other lawyers will hand you a plea bargain and then cut and run.
A plea bargain and a guilty verdict are very much alike. Each is a conviction and each has harsh consequences if you are charged in Colorado with a domestic violence crime. You need a lawyer who knows how to get results in a courtroom, one who has heard “not guilty” many times.
What happens if you are convicted of a domestic violence crime in Colorado? Conviction means:
- You cannot own a gun.
- You will suffer in your child custody case.
- Expensive courses, court supervision and the real possibility of jail.
- Possible loss of employment because you are a risk at your employment site.
- Being placed on a list of offenders and having a record that can never be sealed.
People who are convicted of domestic violence are sentenced differently and more harshly than people convicted of “regular” crimes. What changes a regular crime into a domestic violence crime? It is about the relationship between the defendant and the complainant. Legislators and prosecutors are concerned about crimes between partners that involve coercion, control or punishment. Domestic violence is defined by the Colorado legislature in 18-6-800.3 CRS as:
(1) “Domestic violence” means an act or threatened act of violence upon a person with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship. “Domestic violence” also includes any other crime against a person, or against property, including an animal, or any municipal ordinance violation against a person, or against property, including an animal, when used as a method of coercion, control, punishment, intimidation, or revenge directed against a person with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship.
(2) “Intimate relationship” means a relationship between spouses, former spouses, past or present unmarried couples, or persons who are both the parents of the same child regardless of whether the persons have been married or have lived together at any time.
Colorado domestic violence laws are not written to help those charged under them. You need not suffer if you have a compassionate lawyer, a tough litigator and a fierce fighter. A trial is defined by its outcome, and a trial lawyer shapes the case to get the outcome he wants. Shaun Kaufman is proud to stand with his clients when the jury arrives with their verdict. Shaun knows that the two sweetest words in the law are “not guilty.”