In addition to the film My Cousin Vinny having a high-laugh ratio, it also teaches valuable lessons about the law.
We’re Not Talking Courtroom Etiquette
The film My Cousin Vinny, released in 1992, starred Joe Pesci, Marisa Tomei and Fred Gwynne. It’s a humorous courtroom drama about rough-around-the-edges New York lawyer Vincent LaGuardia “Vinny” Gambini (played by Pesci), fresh out of law school, who’s asked by his nephew and his nephew’s friend to save them from wrongful murder charges in a “redneck” Alabama court system.
Vinny, whose law license is still wet with ink, gives one of the pithiest, funniest opening statements I’ve ever heard, in real life or fiction:
“Everything that guy just said is bullshit. Thank you.”
Okay, so Vinny isn’t exactly a shining example of courtroom etiquette, but the movie has been praised by lawyers, this one included, for adhering to the realities of courtroom procedure and trial strategy.
Realistic Courtroom Confrontations
US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia cited My Cousin Vinny as an example of the principle that a client can choose his own lawyer. When the American Bar Association (ABA) journal invited lawyers to vote for their favorite fictional lawyers, Vinny Gambini ranked number twelve, with lawyers admiring Vinny’s technically correct courtroom confrontations.
Let’s look at one of those, starting with an expert witness introducing his qualifications:
Witness: I am a special automotive instructor of forensic studies for the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Vinny: How long have you been in this position?
Witness: 18 years.
Vinny: Your honor, may we approach the bench please?
Judge: If you wish.
Vinny: I object to this witness being called at this time. We’ve been given no prior notice he’d testify, no discovery of any tests he’s conducted or reports he’s prepared, and as the court is aware, the defense is entitled to advance notice of any witness who will testify, particularly those who will give scientific evidence, so that we could properly prepare for cross-examination, as well as giving the defense the opportunity to have the witness’s reports reviewed by a defense expert, who might then be in a position to contradict the veracity of his conclusions.
Judge: Mr. Gambini, that is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought-out objection.
Vinny: Thank you, your honor.
There’s more to learn by watching this movie: Gambini’s interviews of clients, preparation of case theory, and his cross-examinations that reveal witnesses’ vulnerabilities.
~ End of Excerpt ~
A Lawyer’s Primer for Writers: From Crimes to Courtrooms, by Shaun Kaufman and Colleen Collins, will be available June 2014
Shaun Kaufman Law: 303-309-0430
Latest posts by Kaufman (see all)
- Lessons for Every Lawyer from My Cousin Vinny - May 7, 2014
- Rapid DNA Analysis Technique, Players in the Courtroom and Free Text-Abbreviations Book - May 3, 2014
- An Ode to Quirky Judges - April 23, 2014
Rapid DNA Analysis Technique, Players in the Courtroom and Free Text-Abbreviations Book
How Can We Help You?Call Shaun Kaufman Law at 303-309-0430. We are happy to offer a free, initial phone consultation regarding your case. Or fill out the below contact form, and Shaun Kaufman will get back to you as soon as possible.
Subscribe via Email to Shaun Kaufman Law Posts
Recent Popular Posts by Shaun Kaufman
- Colorado Temporary vs. Permanent Protection Orders There are two forms of protection orders (commonly called restraining ...
- Don’t Be a Cop Magnet: Top 10 Reasons Police Pull Over It's fairly easy to get pulled over while you're driving. ...
- Should You Lie or Not Talk to the Police? Can I get into trouble if I lie to the ...
- Do It Yourself DUI/DMV Representation: Three Top Mistakes… Hypothetical situation: You've been ticketed for driving under the influence ...
- Sentencing: Tips for Preparing a Mitigation Package Sentencing is important in many criminal defense cases. Understand that ...
- What Happens When the Police Shoot a Citizen In today's blog, I'm discussing the procedures used by police ...
- After the DUI Arrest, What Happens Next? After you are taken into custody for DUI, you will ...
- My blog has recently been added to , which is part of one of the largest networks of blog directories on the Web. Please visit to vote for my blog and comment to other blog users.
Shaun Kaufman Law serves clients across…
Denver Metro area and throughout Colorado, the Denver Tech Center, Golden, Brighton, Littleton, Boulder, Lakewood, Longmont, Englewood, Arvada, Fort Collins, Greeley, Aurora, Evergreen, Lakewood, Broomfield, Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Glendale, Louisville, Lone Tree, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Cherry Creek, Pueblo, Black Hawk, Georgetown, Eagle, Carbonale,,El Jebel, Leadville, Glenwood Springs, Granby, Grand Lake, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Silverton,Telluride, Ouray, Delta, Gunnison, Lake City, Walden, Loveland. Rifle, Meeker, Rangely, Central City, Salida, Westcliffe, Canon City, Fairplay, Sheridan, Creede, Del Norte, Centennial, Littleton, Castle Rock, Parker, Kiowa. Broomfield, and all communities of The Foothills, The Eastern Plains and the Front Range, Trinidad, Walsenburg and Aguilar.